Creating an efficient and well crafted test checklist requires not only personal experience and deep knowledge of the topic, but also an understanding of the end-user’s philosophy and expected experience. QA testing checklists must include the following:
To ensure a product owner that the software product is tested properly, all of the points above should lead to the coverage of all the business and functional requirements.
In this article we will review 2 main factors that will help you test your app and cover all the critical issues:
If you want to be sure that your QA team executed all the steps correctly and tested your app or product properly, this article is a must read in your reading list.
Ready to start? Our journey begins!
The main goal of every test checklist is to help its executor say “yes, I’ve checked every step in this set of tasks”. Therefore, we’d like to outline 7 tips that will help you write an efficient test checklist:
1. Make a blueprint – The author of the test checklist needs to complete the following steps before starting a testing checklist:
2. Be clear – When a QA manager starts writing a checklist he must always remember that all the points in it should be defined correctly. They should not contain options for discretionary interpretation.
3. Group testing points – It is not necessary to place all the points in one list. It is possible to make several subgroups in the checklist. This approach will minimize the chances of losing some points while working.
4. Create the flow from an end-user’s perspective – The ultimate goal of the test checklist is to meet the customer’s requirements. A QA manager must keep in mind the user’s logic. That will help avoid two common mistakes:
| Also read: Mobile Application Testing Checklist
5. Make comments – Software testisng checklists should include a general statement which tells QA managers what to test. But if comments can help testers check an app correctly, they must be added (no kind of new Lord of The Rings story is required).
6. Write a checklist in an organized manner – A tester must write down a clear testing flow and avoid duplications in the description.
7. Maintenance and updates of the notes – It is always good practice to update test checklists as per the newly introduced changes in the requirements.
| Also read: 508 compliance testing checklist for mobile apps
These 7 tips will help you put together an efficient checklist, but keep in mind that they will only get you half the way there. The second half will be in the presentation of the results obtained from good testing. It helps development teams spend less time on reviewing information, reproduce the issues, and planning future iterations.
It may be just human nature, but many people throughout the world think alike, whereas they perform the same user experience flow for all types of their activities:
It means that nobody wants to do algebra in their heads when reviewing test results. When combining a new test, you need to keep in mind the type of information readers are looking for, and how to make this information logical and visually clear. Quality assurance checklists must clearly present the following information:
Let’s take a look at the following examples:
|Example #1||Example #2|
|Total tests in the list: 1200
|Total tests in the list: 1200
Checked: 33% (401/1200)
Passed: 25% (301/1200)
As you can see, it is the same data but
To make it even easier, we have created a pie chart:
Based on the information we’ve provided above, we’d like to outline 4 tips for presenting testing data results:
There is an art to creating a software test checklist, and like most art forms, they can only be honed with time and experience. If you do not have an in-house QA team, or are not sure that your team is executing all the tests correctly, then you can always send your request to our managers via the Uberetsters contact form, or send your request to email@example.com. Our managers will offer you the best options for your mobile app or web-site testing and gather a team of skilled professionals for your project.
If you want to understand the art of creating software testing checklists, then we recommend reading the following books:
Get in touch, fill out the form below, and an Ubertesters representative will contact you shortly to find out how we can help you.
Want to see the Ubertesters platform at work? Please fill out the form below and we'll get in touch with you as quickly as possible.
Fill out a quick 20 sec form to get your free quote.
Please try again later.